Get Youth into IT
Get Youth into IT (GYIT) is an initiative funded under and administered by the EU Erasmus+ Programme. It has been well documented that Europe is currently experiencing an IT skills shortage amongst its workforce, with an estimated 900,000 IT jobs going unfilled by 2020. Both local and multinational IT companies all over the EU are struggling to recruit for roles in all areas of their operations.
At the same time, youth unemployment remains a big issue in Europe, having worsened during the most recent economic crises. Despite the opportunities presented by the IT industry, school going young people continue to overlook IT as a viable career option. GYIT aims to tackle this problem by making IT attractive, attainable, rewarding and fulfilling for young people who are beginning to consider their future career.
This will be done by delivering the IT Taster Course to young people in education. This will give them an introduction to various areas of IT, allowing them to gain some practical skills. They will also learn how these IT disciplines are used in a professional setting. Then the young students will be given a Taster Course Follow on Pack to help maintain and build on their new found interest in IT. Finally they will have access to the IT Career Guidance Pack which help guide the young person on their path to an IT career. See below for more information on the Project Products.
IT Taster Course – this is to introduce children in education to IT in a practical, fun and engaging way. It is made up of a number of modules, each covering a specific area of IT. They will include, information on the topic itself and practical exercises as well as career advice and industry contact to further encourage their interest in IT as a career option.
Taster Course Follow on Pack – once the IT Taster Course has been completed and an interest in IT has been acquired, the Follow on Pack will help the children to maintain and grow their interest, knowledge and skills. It is made up of resources, online courses, MOOCs and websites that the young school goer can access to gain more information about IT and further facilitate their entry into an IT career.
IT Career Guidance Pack – this is a career guidance pack dedicated solely to highlighting the various pathways to IT careers. It will outline all of the available IT training options in each partner country (Ireland, UK, Lithuania and Spain) to help to guide and facilitate the child in their transition from school to the next level of their IT training.
- Encourage and anchor the interest of children in education in IT from an early age.
- Facilitate the transition of children from school to the next stage of their IT training via career guidance material.
- Help children in education to acquire new digital skills that can be used in work, school or during hobbies.
- Inspire the next generation of work force to pursue a sustainable, achievable and rewarding career in IT thereby contributing to the narrowing of the IT skills gap in Europe as well as reducing the rate of youth unemployment.
- Provide new and alternative career options to children in education for whom career or education options are traditionally perceived as limited.